devil

Right Ways To Use Links In Your Website

In this day and time you'll need to know how to use links the right way. I will explain how I use them and why I use them. What works for me, may work for some, and not work for others. This is what I have learned from designing, trials, A and B testing and feed back from clients I have worked with over the years.



I used to design for big adult companies. I made a ton of money doing just that. That's where I have learned a lot from my design skills.



[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="479"]Right Ways To Use Links In Your Website Right Ways To Use Links In Your Website[/caption]



Enough of me rambling on! Below you will find my secrets to using links.



1) Links should never say, Click Here, they should be 2-5 words at most. They should relate to, what's on the other side of the link, IE: (You can to learn, Play Just like the pro's, You can download Her Naughty Picture etc.).



2) Your link should STAND out, Should have different colors for (active, visited, hover)



3) Home page links should be pragmatic, (Dealing with things sensible and realistically)



4) Don't make your readers guess where they have to go, Have them know, that if they click that link, it will take them to the page the link is telling them.



5) Make links go from general too specific.



6) Use your log files to see what your users are searching for, then use the most commonly used words for your links.



7) Use title tags to help your users know where they are going.
( title = Anchor text )



8) Try and use a first person approach. IE: (I want you to go_______________.)



9) Don't force a new window to open when your user clicks a link. They know how to use their back button.



10) This is by far is the most important lesson, TEST YOUR LINKS. Once you're finished writing your links, test them in different browsers. Make sure they go where you want them to go and there are no broken links. Dead links or links going to the wrong section can cause you to lose a lot of money.



Well I hope you enjoyed my first article on the correct way to use links within your website. This will not be the last article I write about links. There are so many different things you can look at when building links. Don't be scared to try something different either. When ever you try something that is different from the norm, please make sure you test it.



Don't create it and just leave it. Test it, see if your ways getting the results you're wanting out of that different link.



Guest Post By Thomas J Kiser 



ADVERTISEMENT
Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

Would love to here from you...